I wish I could say that there was a quick and easy way to lose weight and keep it off for life. I wish I could say there is a magic pill/shake/video/program/diet plan/words of wisdom to make you lose weight or keep it off. I would be a liar if I didn’t tell you that it takes hard work. The weight didn’t come on overnight (although sometimes it feels that way) so it’s not going to go away overnight. It takes making smart food and drink choices every day. It takes being active and moving your body. It takes valuing yourself more than you do.
I’m paraphrasing 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 but it goes something like this: Don’t forget that your body is the place where the Holy Spirit lives. It’s not your body. You’re loaning it from God while you’re here on this earth. You have been bought with a great price…Jesus’ death and resurection…treat your body as if you are glorifying God, not punishing yourself.
It’s up to you. The reason you want/need to lose weight is what is important to you. Your goal is not to lose weight. Weight loss is a means to the goal, a stepping stone. Figure out what you want and go for it. Life is so precious and so sweet. Treat it as such. You are worth it.
We didn’t discuss some of these things but I think these may help. I’m being brutally honest but it’s coming from a place of love, not judgement.
- The amount of sugar in drinks is ridiculous…soda, tea, coffee with flavored creamer, energy drinks, juice like drinks, juice, etc.
- You don’t need dessert, or appetizers, or slushies, or chocolate, or candy, or whatever your “thing” is…you don’t need it
- You’re not a picky eater, you’re just not giving vegetables (or other foods) a chance
- Don’t let yourself get too hungry, hunger is a healthy feeling but don’t let it go too long
- One meal a day isn’t gonna cut it…at all
- Crash dieting is ridiculous…stop hurting your body
- You don’t need shakes…seriously save your money and buy real food
- You don’t need diet pills…your liver hates them
- Diet plans DON’T WORK…put the money that you’d spend on a diet plan into seeing a dietitian (and please for heavens sake do not say “dietitians are too expensive”…you’d spend hundreds of dollars on diet plans or shakes but not to see the experts? Think about it)
- Remember: Mindset > What You Eat > Exercise…all the time, every day, no question
You can do this. You can make better food choices. You can move your body more. You can.