My family has had an “eventful” 2017. Don’t get me wrong it’s been full of blessings but it was also filled with multiple stomach bugs (one of which took out my younger son for over a month), learning how to handle very active twin boys (apparently this is not for the faint of heart!), my daughter starting kindergarten, and the passing of my beloved Grandmother. In this whirlwind, I lost sight of meal planning and my usual homecooked meals were comprised of quick fixes like sloppy joes, tacos, breakfast for dinner, leftovers (thanks Mom and Dad), and (full disclosure) fast food/takeout.
Look, this is life and seasons in life, but it doesn’t have to last forever (or for years on end). So this week I decided that I was going to plan meals (AND FOLLOW THROUGH). Sometimes though, you just need inspiration. I mean having the same thing over and over again is just not for me. Flipping through the millions of Pinterest ideas I came across one that uses garlic, lemons, artichokes, and caperberries along with spices I’ve never heard of before. So I decided to SIMPLIFY things without losing the flavor dimensions.
This is a slow cooker recipe but you could also brine this all day and then bake it before dinner. I made it with pasta but you could also serve it with rice, potatoes, quinoa or another grain/starch. Broccoli pairs well with the lemon flavor of the chicken but you could also serve this with a side salad or another vegetable of your choice.
Remeber I’m into EASY recipes that do not take a lot of prep time or purchasing power. This is one of those dump dump mix and set. Enjoy!
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons capers plus the brine that is poured in with it
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cloves garlic diced (larger chunks)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- Place zest, lemon juice, dijon, vinegar, capers/brine, and minced garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Place chopped onion and the rest of the garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put drumsticks on top of onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour lemon mixture over top of chicken and let marinate for 3-12 hours.
- Cook chicken on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours
Serve with whole grain (or gluten-free) pasta
Sauce for Pasta
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy spread (butter would work great too)
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoons capers (with juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat and sautee onions and garlic.
- Add lemon juice and mix. Heat until simmering and add capers.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes
- Toss with pasta
It was great and we have leftovers for lunch!